I have always been a wreck when it comes to karaoke. I feel like the expectations are always too high or too low, and I don't like the pressure. It doesn't help that I have seriously talented friends that are somewhat impossible to sing after. However, karaoke is the social activity of the CU grad student group. At least once a week the get together to belt out everything from Britney to the Commodores. I finally got over my fears last night and managed to get through a song without running off the stage. Major accomplishment, if I do say so myself.
However, it got me thinking. What songs are good for karaoke? I feel like you can rock a song, but if it's not a crowd pleaser you are just as likely to get blank stares rather than applause afterward. I know this is going to be a reoccurring social engagement for the next 5 years of Ian's grad school, so I'd better figure out what's a show stopper, and what just stops the show. I know a bunch of you out there are karaoke experts, so have at it in the comments. What is your favorite karaoke to sing/hear?
I Love Rock N Roll of course! But there's Love Shack, Journey, Living on a Prayer
ReplyDeleteReally anything that's well known and upbeat and fun to sing along with! :D
Plus you sound good on anything...
Man oh man. I second Gena. However, here are a couple others:
ReplyDelete* What's Love Got To Do With It
* Barbie Girl
* Anything by Carrie Underwood
* Any Michael Jackson
* Baby Got Back
* Born to be Wild
I always think of choosing songs at karaoke that you secretly sing in your car, but don't want anyone to know that you know all the words. THOSE are perfect karaoke songs. :D