I think. I don't know what makes a chili a Texas one, but this one is pretty spicy. Also, Ian's aunt gave the recipe to me and she's full on Texan, so I'm going to count it. Of course, I had to play around with it since there is hardly a time that I can leave well enough alone - but the recipe was so stellar that we ended up with a great chili despite my meddling. Here's how I did it:
1ish lb of ground beef
1ish lb of ground sausage
1/2 onion
3 jalapenos (seeded and chopped)
1 serrano (seeded and chopped)
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 can chili beans
2 cans crushed tomatoes with green peppers
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup chili powder
1 TBS cumin
1 TBS paprika
1/2 TBS black pepper
 |
| Yum, Yum, Yum! |
The first thing I did was dice up all peppers, onion and garlic. I then dumped the onions and peppers into a pan and after a few minutes I added in the garlic. I know everyone thinks that onions are a big pain, always making their eyes tear up, but I LOVE the smell of them cooking. Yes, it's a little stingy, even to the nose, but it's like a promise of good food to come. Especially when they are headed toward chili :) Once I got enough of the aroma, I added the beef and sausage to this mix and browed it all up with everything in the pan to make sure all the spicy flavors were infused into the meat.
 |
| Reasonably cooked rice! |
I next put everything else into a big pot and mixed it all up. Then I just covered it with water and let it simmer for the next few hours. While it was going I took a stab at some rice - I like to line my bowl with it to add some more texture to the chili. For those of you closer to sea level, rice directions don't apply 5,000 ft up. It's a balancing act of adding water and time that I never get completely right. Except this time. I have no idea how it happened, but my rice came out somewhat decent. Hooray for small victories!
 |
| 5 out of 5 on Yum scale! |
After a few hours I combined it all, put some cheddar cheese on top, and chowed down. It was really, really, good - I owe Ian's aunt big for this recipe. It's especially nice since we have not been able to find a place that knows how to use a non-green chili spice and have had to resort to home cooking to get any real zip in our food. It was a great meal and really warmed us up for the night. In fact, I think I'm going to go nosh on some of the leftovers now. Let me know if anyone has good chili tips because I think this is going to be a re-occurring dish in the Oliver house!
That looks yummy!! and it makes me feel warmer just looking at it! would i just add less chili powder if i wanted it less spicy?
ReplyDeleteI'd stick to the 1/4 cup chili powder and only do 1 or 2 jalapenos. Let me know how it goes!
ReplyDeleteAnd get the crushed tomatoes without the green peppers in them!
ReplyDelete1. I totally want the chili recipe. I mean, I'm practically family, right?
ReplyDelete2. I'm jealous of your rice-making skills. I've only gotten it right once too and I STILL don't know what I did right.
3. That looks delicious.
4. I think you're weird for putting rice in your chili. I blame your Northern-roots on that one.
First off, you are family. Second off(?), don't knock it till you've tried it.
ReplyDeleteHaha! I looked at the recipe before reading the post and thought how much that looked like mine. I'd forgotten I'd given it to you! Of course I never make it the same way twice, so I'll be interested to hear of your tweaks. Never can seem to get the tomato balance right. But I DO know it's time to try that weird northern rice thing. Looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteHere's another standby for your "missing Texas moments":
Smoked Chicken Enchiladas
- Meat from one Smoked Chicken - chopped (if you’re in a lazy mood, go to Rudy’s and get theirs - already cooked and ready to go)
- 2 cans chopped green chilis
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs. monterrey jack cheese (can used reduced fat - I never do)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cans/jars enchilada sauce/salsa - (I switch from red to green spicy /mild - just
depends on my mood. Lately I’ve really been liking Fredricksburg Farms Roasted Chipotle Salsa or their Tomatillo salsa)
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 can corn
Saute onions and garlic until clear, mix onions and garlic into chicken
meat, add chilis, corn and 1/2 of cheese. Roll into tortillas.
Place tortillas into lighlty oiled casserole dish and pour sauce on top,
then top with remaining cheese, cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for
about 20 - 30 minutes - take foil off and brown cheese for a minute or two.
NOTE: for your vegetarian sister, mother, cousin and aunt-in-laws, you can substitute spinach for chicken. 1-2 boxes of frozen spinach, thawed and drained = 1 chicken, chopped
NOTE again: I usually double the recipe and freeze part of the filling. It seems like double the recipe fills three casserole dishes.
That looks sooo good! I'll definitely have to try this soon!
ReplyDelete