| Snowy Tudor Cottage |
My first meal of the week was a Dullum family classic - meatloaf. I know a lot of people hold a grudge against meatloaf, but they are silly. Meatloaf is delicious when done right. I think a lot of time people end up making this dry cake type blob, and don't realize that adding a little bit more liquid turns that into one of the best feel-good meals you can have.
Here's the family recipe:
1 & 1/2 lbs ground beef mince (I use 97/3)
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 egg
3/4 cups quick quaker oats
1/4 cup chopped onion (I replace with onion powder since Ian refuses to eat onion)
1-2 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
thyme, garlic powder, mustard to taste
6 oz sliced mozzarella
The key to this recipe is the ground beef mince. This is not the ground beef you pick up in the store. It is ground beef you have picked up in the store and then made divine with anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours of effort. Mince is a reoccurring ingredient in Dullum cooking, and it turns out different for every dish (and pretty much every time you make it). First you brown the meat in a pan, and add in whatever ingredients that match what you are putting the meat into - here I'd use the worcestershire, mustard, oregano, garlic, onion, etc. Then you bring down the temperature, add some water and a torn up piece of white bread and simmer for however much time you have. It's not a huge deal, but it makes everything taste soo much better.
To finish off the meal, I made some roasted potatoes and broccoli. While I had them in the same pan, I seasoned them differently to keep things interesting. On the broccoli I put salt, pepper and olive oil. This has become my new favorite way to cook my very favorite veggie. Jason, my brother in law, was the first to do this, and I think everyone in the fam now copies him. It is really easy, and gives a nice crunch to the meal.
| Pre-cooked veggies |
| 4.5 out of 5 on Yum scale |
First off: I love Meatloaf
ReplyDeleteSecondly: I was already planning to make meatloaf this week. Great minds...
Thirdly: The way my family makes meatloaf is we roll the meatloaf flat then roll it around cheese sticks (so it becomes stuffed meatloaf.) I suggest it thoroughly if you ever want to spice it up.
Ooo... I love cheese sticks! Good idea Blair! And looks good Brandan!
ReplyDeleteDullum meatloaf is the best!! Dave claims it is not real meatloaf, cuz it has tomato sauce in it or something, but I don't care, cuz it is delicious! Now you are making me want to make some for dinner tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteIt was pretty good! I might have to try rolling it on cheese stick though next time....
ReplyDeleteNever heard of the mince. I'm going to try that!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOk, so I found out that if you post without previewing first, then the post doesn't show up. WHICH MEANS you guys don't know of the yummy scrumptiousness of (in addition to the ingredients you have listed) mixing ground beef AND ground pork AND bacon AND allspice AND a little apple cider vinegar for your meatloaf, AND the oh so secret ingredient: 1/2 cup of pitted prunes, chopped. I know, I know, this sounds crazy, but it's yummy yummy yummy! Promise.
ReplyDeleteAnd on an entirely different note, Brandan, did your birthday surprise arrive safely yesterday?
That sounds awesome. I've mixed beef and pork to make the ultimate grilled burgers before, but never for meatloaf - I'll have to try that too. Looks like we are going to be eating a lot of meatloaf in the next few weeks!
ReplyDelete