We used to eat these pancakes every Sunday morning while growing up. It was a big family event with tea and bacon and honey instead of syrup. It was all yummy, but the best part of the meal was the extra ingredient in the pancakes - chocolate chips. It was like dessert for breakfast, every kids dream. I wanted to recreate this feeling yesterday, but sadly didn't have the requisite chocolate chips. Since a major part of cooking in was to avoiding changing out of pjs, there was no way I was going to the store to get some. So, I decided to get creative...here we go again....
Instead of chocolate chips I decided to put in chunks of brown sugar in the pancakes to get the bursts of sweetness I so wanted. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but with my track record for getting creative, I decided to only do half that way. In the end that was probably a good choice. In my split second decision, I forgot to consider what happens when you heat up sugar - caramelization. It didn't taste bad, but it did make for a bit of a sticky mess on the pan and kinda random holes in the pancakes where the brown sugar should have been. In the end I'd say not worth the effort and the cleaning.
It ended up being a pretty yummy breakfast, and I managed to stay in my pjs for an extra hour or so.
| Pancakes with honey an bacon 4 out of 5 on Yum scale |
How do you have the secret pancake recipe?? Will you send it to me? And happy birthday! Hope you have fun at the wine bar tonight!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! And Mer- how do you NOT have the secret pancake recipe? You should have it memorized! The only thing that was missing from your breakfast, Brandan, was orange julius! nummmm!
ReplyDeleteOoo orange julius! I forgot about that...I don't think I have that recipe/forgot it. Do you have it?
ReplyDelete