I decided to go to the trusty google and find out what to do. I typed in "what do I do with leftover brisket?" and got about a million hits. The one that looked best to me was brisket chili. Here's how I did it:
2.5 lbs of brisket, chopped up to bite size (we sill wanted the sandwich option)
2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped)
1 can black beans
1 can salsa
1/2 cup chili powder
1 TBS cumin
1 TBS paprika
1 lb of the leftover roasted potatoes
I was a little concerned about using salsa instead of regular tomato paste and diced tomatoes, but it was all I had on hand and I really did not feel like going to the grocery store (this is how most of my "new inventions" come about). I just dropped that all into a big pot then covered it with some beef broth I had in the fridge, and when that ran out, finished covering it with some water. Then it sat bubbling on the stove for a few hours, making the whole house smell amazing.
| 5 out of 5 on Yum sacle |
The smells did not lie, it was amazing. With some cheese on the top and some orzo underneath (my current easy alternative to rice), it tasted like a completely different and really good meal. And thank goodness, because at that point I'm not sure I could have looked at another piece of brisket, much less eaten one.
The last thing we did to get rid of el beef was to make brisket chili scrambles. Initially I intended them to be brisket omelets, but the brisket was too heavy/I flipped it too early so it became a scramble.
| Not a looker, but 5 out of 5 on the Yum scale |
I put in some milk, lemon pepper and cheddar cheese with the eggs to keep them fluffy and tasty, then just dumped the leftover chili on top and mixed it all up. It was a great Saturday morning brunch food - but I would not attempt this for breakfast, unless you wake up with a very strong stomach.
So after about 2 weeks of brisket, we finally made it though all 10 lbs of meat. As the indigestion slowly wears off, I am starting to wonder when Ian is going to attempt smoking another one, and if he will consider only doing 2 lbs.
Haha- that's called getting creative!! :D
ReplyDeleteWOW, that looks amazing!!! I think Dave would start drooling if he read this entry! What a creative idea...
ReplyDelete