![]() |
| The long debated color palate - thank goodness I have creative friends. |
We moved out the furniture and that afternoon Blair came over and helped up tape up all the walls and get down to actually painting. She and Ian came up with a brilliant plan where she would place strips of tape on the wall and Ian would follow behind and tape up the ceiling. It was the best combo of short and tall cooperation I have seen in a while.
![]() |
| Blair putting up the tape |
![]() |
| And Ian following behind. |
![]() |
| Don't worry, I got two OB-GYN approvals to paint. |
We worked for a grand total of around 8 hours if you include the Home Depo trip and the numerous time-outs I took to sit down and watch while Blair got me water and Ian kept painting. After a long day of list-completing, we heartily congratulated ourselves for finally getting something done and went to watch the Longhorns game at the Texas-Exs bar nearby. Little did we know that while we were watching Texas almost loose to West Virginia, contrary to all popular wisdom, the pretty steel-grey paint was drying lighter.
![]() |
| Transition from blue grey to brown grey. |
We came back and saw that the once cool grey, was now was heading toward baby blue. I did not like it. My pregnancy hormones did not like it. Even Ian, who loves everything, did not like it. We pretended that a second coat would darken everything up and magically make our now blue room, not blue, but by the morning we knew that we would have to scrap our plans for buying a crib, drive back to Home Depot and reconsider our grey options. Silly us for thinking that this would be the one home improvement project that only required one trip to the black-hole of weekend renovations.
Sunday morning Ian had to stay home to work, so I ventured out myself and contemplated colors (by that I mean one color - grey) for the next 45 minutes. I finally decided that 'going more brown' would help and switched from our cooly named 'Silver Screen' grey to the 'Granite Boulder' grey. How Colorado. Since the room was already taped up, the second coat went on much faster, cutting our painting time down to 3ish hours.
As we wandered out of the nursery bleary eyed and spattered in two different shades of the same color on Sunday night, I realized we had spent spent the majority of our weekend completing only 50% of what we had set out to do. In fact, we still had to do touch ups once everything dried, so really we were not even hitting the halfway mark. The college professor and the finance attorney were defeated by a color wheel.
But, I think there is a lesson in here somewhere. We are just not going to get everything done. Pre-Buttons, Post-Buttons and (according to my mom) for the next 18 years, we will just need to be happy with what we can do. And, on Tuesday night, we touched up the walls and completed the paint job:
We love it. We have a start on creating our nursery and can move on to our checklist for this weekend: the delivery and parenting class and buying that darn crib!But, I think there is a lesson in here somewhere. We are just not going to get everything done. Pre-Buttons, Post-Buttons and (according to my mom) for the next 18 years, we will just need to be happy with what we can do. And, on Tuesday night, we touched up the walls and completed the paint job:






Just gorgeous. And I know Buttons will appreciate all the work you put into the room color! It's marvelous to have such good friends when you have a project. Well done!
ReplyDeleteAlso...belly shot is so cute (as are you)!
It is beautiful!! It was a lot of hard work, but it is so perfect! He'll love it! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteOOOOOOOO... EXCELLENT color pallet!!! :) I'm impressed! :) :) :) Can't friggin WAIT to see it in person!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not bragging, but as a short person, I have found many reasons to make tall people work to my advantage. LOL.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, you are such a funny writer! I was laughing out loud :) Glad you guys found a color you like, it looks great! And yes, you will accomplish maybe a 10th of what you set out to do at any given time once you have a baby. That slowly gets better as you learn to be more efficient, but then you probably end up having another one! Also, LOOOVE the belly bump pic, you look great!!
ReplyDelete