I finally settled on Gone With The Wind, another 1,000+ pager that I have been meaning to read for a while. I got it into my head that I should get the hardback version since it is such a long book and the spines tend to break in paperbacks if they are too legnthy. Also, GWTW is was a classic that I'll want to keep around for a long time, or at least have on my bookshelf to look impressive. So, I hopped on the google and tried to find my nearest Half Price Books. As indicated in the title, they do not exist here. In fact, I have yet to find a single used book store in Denver. There was a place called Tattered Cover that sounded just the place to go - but when I researched it, turns out it considers itself one of the boutique book stores that can charge triple the price for the 'unique' atmosphere. I'd rather grab a pumpkin latte from Starbucks at my nearest Barnes & Noble while only paying twice as much thankyouverymuch.
I next tried to get it online through Half.com, an associate of ebay. I found a hardback for only 8 bucks and quickly put my bid in. But that fates were against me again, and days later I found out my order had been canceled. No notification, I only noticed that the money had been put back on my debt card statement. There goes that option for future literature purchases.
So I sucked it up, found my local Barnes & Noble (got my latte) and bought the book there for full price. Thus, instead of the $8 hardback I expected to keep on my shelves forever, I got a $15 paperback whose binding will no doubt break by page 600. I just don't understand a large city with a fairly educated population not having a good used book store. Maybe I have just not found it yet, but then again, if it is so hard to find, then who is turning in their used books there? It all seems pretty suspect to me. Maybe there is a conspiracy hiding all used book stores from newcomers so all the locals can get the good used books first. I think that makes the most sense. At least it would in the Pillars' pseudo fantasy, bear-fighting-dog medieval world.
That is very disappointing indeed. I usually just buy my books on Amazon just because it's so cheap and usually the shipping isn't outrageous. Maybe look into that? Here's GWTW on Amazon for as little as 6.98: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/068483068X/ref=si_aps_sup_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287669818&sr=1-3&condition=used
ReplyDeleteI use it a lot for my book club. :)
P.S. Have you thought about a good ol' fashioned library? I know, I'm really bad at using it. However, all my book club ladies swear by it.
I've had a few issues with Amazon before with books, so I was kinda staying away from them. It was mainly with law textbooks though, maybe if it's a more reputable source than a stressed out law student it might work better.
ReplyDeleteAs for libraries, I used to go to them a lot as a kid because I read a stupid amount and didn't need 7000 Sweet Valley High/Babysitter Club books. Now I really like having it on my shelves to keep - hence the 4 bookcases in the basement.
I just miss wandering in a used book store getting hardbacks for cheap :(
I did a little looking around and found a place called Barely Used Books- I dunno if it's any good...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.denver.com/barely-read-used-books-b8883221
Thanks Bean, I'll have to check that out for my next book. I found a place on S Broadway the other day that had some used books, but it was just a tiny shop with not a very good selection - hopefully this one will be better!
ReplyDeleteThe Babysitter's Club!! We spent a fortune on those books... and sweet valley high was my favorite :)
ReplyDelete