Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Epic BBQ Bash: The Desserts

I really only made one dessert for the BBQ, but I am going to count the margaritas we made as a second dessert - it qualifies in the high calorie category at the very least. This margarita recipe was my birthday present, and I am a jealous birthday person so I'm not going to share it/it's not my recipe to share. BUT I will tell you that it involves Paula's Orange, an Austin-only triple sec, which was the other part of my birthday present.
5 out of 5 on a Yum scale
Hat tip to Blair and Schex for the real Mexican Tequilla

I think the grad kids learned a valuable lesson about tequila drinks. Also, I didn't take a picture of it the first time around, so I just had to make a second batch tonight to show you all the glory. (This blog is not only a way for me to write non-legal things, but also gives me great excuses for indulging!)

The second dessert was oreo balls. It sounds disgusting at first, and then you think about it, and then it sounds amazing. And it is amazing. Here's the recipe:

1/2 bag oreos, crushed
4 oz cream cheese, melted (I used lite to make myself feel better)
1/2 bag of white chocolate chips

First step mash up all the oreos. I used a potato masher and it worked surprisingly well. Then add in the melted cream cheese and consider how much you underappreciate your arteries. Then form into 1 inch balls and put them to "dry" on a wax sheet. After about 30 minutes or so, melt down the white chocolate chips and cover the balls.
5 out of 5 on the Yum scale 
There are 2 strategies for this and I don't know which I liked better - (1) dunking the ball in the chocolate (which made the come apart a little bit, but were re-formable) or (2) pouring the chocolate over the balls with a spoon (which didn't get to the bottom part of them). I think I like (1) better, it's at the least messier - my favorite! - and also gets everything covered.

They were a big hit at the party, and I will definitely be making them again. This pretty much covers everything we had at the BBQ, except for what people brought...mainly beer. It was a really good way to get to know Ian's colleagues better, and reminded how much I love our little Tudor cottage-home.

7 comments:

  1. My favorite dessert treat in the entire world? White chocolate-covered Oreos. They only make them during the holidays. I will now credit this instant 40 pound-weight gain to you, Brandan. To. You.

    P.S. Glad you liked the tequila. We exited the boat on our honeymoon especially for your happiness. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My God!
    Must try
    Resistance is futile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister's mother-in-law makes these every time there is a big family event. She freezes them though, which a lot of people like better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julie, a haiku is 5-7-5, so it would have to be something like:

    Oreo mash ups
    Such heavenly decadence
    Your resistance is futile

    ReplyDelete
  5. ditto what Jan said! I must make this for our next party, or i will feel I have failed my friends :) (or that is my excuse, at least!)

    ReplyDelete