So a few days ago, before this incredible cold snap hit, Ian decided to make my favorite - Dullum burgers on the grill. He's been picking up tips form my dad and has now got his own spin on it:
1 lb beef
.5 lb chorizo
1/4 onion (I insisted)
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
salt and chili powder to "taste"
You just mush it all together in a bowl, the separate it out into burger-sized lumps, then fire up the grill. Apparently, we fired the grill too hot and got up to 500, so the burgers were a fast cook and the "toasted" buns were even faster. It wasn't the most beautiful presentation I've seen, but it was tasty.
| 4.5 out of 5 on the Yum Scale |
While Ian played with fire, I got to "not cook" by making the sides. I decided to keep the TX BBQ theme going by making jalapeno poppers. The first thing I did was to make a cream some cheese filling: 4 oz cream cheese, some parmesan cheese, cumin, cayenne pepper, and I think parsley to top it off. I wish I could remember all that I put into it because it was yummers. Whatever the combo, it was good AND to top it off the last few steps were in messy assembly line style!
| Jalapenos, assemble! |
| 3.5 out of 5 on Yum scale |
The last component was my take on potato salad - garlic mashed potatoes. Ok, it was really nothing like potato salad other than it consisted of potatoes, but it was delicious. I blogged about how amazing this dish is before so I won't bore you with the details - other than it has SEVENTEEN cloves of garlic. SEVENTEEN.
| 5 out of 5 on the Yum scale I love every single clove that is in here. |
It was a great meal and the leftover chorizo (you can only buy it in full pounds) made for a Texas-y leftover nacho dinner later that week:
| 3.5 out of 5 on Yum Scale |
I may not be a Southern lady anymore, but with Ian around I can still eat like one - with BBQ sauce and cheese all over my hands and face.
If only we could send tastes of these through email! I'd love some of those hamburgers and garlic mashed potatoes and would send you some of the incredible sour cream chicken enchiladas that Frank made over the weekend! I hear it's bitterly cold there. Here too...stay warm, and I can't wait to read about the brisket that's on the menu for this weekend.
ReplyDeleteI want some garlic mashed potatoes!!!! Looks SO good!
ReplyDeleteI want that recipe for the garlic mashed potatoes. Like, now. :D
ReplyDeleteYum, I still haven't attempted enchiladas yet because they are my favorite Mexican food and I don't want to screw them up. Hopefully I will screw up the courage in the next few weeks.
ReplyDeleteAnd Blair you HAVE this recipe, it's in Mastering, pg. 520-21. I've started replacing some of the heavy cream with 1% since I like my arteries, and it isn't as good, but it works.
for those of us who don't have Mastering, could you share the love? :) although i get tired just thinking about chopping up so much garlic!
ReplyDelete