Thursday, October 14, 2010

DMV Diet

After miles and miles of red tape I finally have my Colorado license with my new last name - yay! Even better, my picture somehow turned out decent, which makes 2 in a row. However, there is one thing about my CO license that I can't stand...it actually has my weight on it. I know all DMVs ask for your weight, but I always thought that the dreaded number went off somewhere in the inter-office-webs never to be seen again in daylight - that's how they did it in Texas! Not so in Colorado. Perhaps it is because they are the healthiest state in the US, or because everyone I meet here has done at least one triathlon/marathon/bike tour. However, even my skinniest friends don't like to parade around their number.

The other issue is that I told them my normal number when I went in - the one I have spit out at doctors since I have been in college. And that number is usually about on target...except that since I have been here I have been cooking like a fiend, and thanks to MC, with a lot of butter. Now, I feel like I need to lose weight not only to be healthy, but so I'm not a liar on an official government document.  I think that's at least a misdemeanor.

So, thanks to the DMV, I am going to try and be healthy again. I've already joined the 24 hour fitness down the street and have figured out the best spin class times. I also have all my healthy cooking materials from before I embarked upon classic French and American cookery (Don't worry, I'll still be cooking the classics, just cutting down on the portions so there won't be leftovers for days of butter-filled food). The only thing I am lacking is a good quick fix healthy meal. I've grabbed a few Healthy Choice things and liked them a bit, but I feel like there is better out there. I think next week I am going to buy a whole array of insta-healthy food and see which one suits me best. Any brand/flavor suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. My weight is on my military ID. And I was pregnant when I got it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is horrible. When do you get to update it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, whatever you do, don't buy pre-packaged meals. Those things are TERRIBLE for you. They have usually, on average, about 3x your daily allotment of sodium and can actually make you retain lots of water weight and obviously not help your blood pressure.

    I would subscribe to Cooking Light. They are a great magazine and have really wonderful recipes. Even better than that, but they also teach you in the magazine how to substitute ingredients in your favorite recipes (using honey instead of sugar, using whole wheat flour instead of white flour, etc.) This can help you because then you are still cooking like a fiend, just healthily.

    Hope that helps! See you today! AHHH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. So I'm totally a lean cuisine fan. It is lean and it is cuisine and it is delicious! They even have good lean pizza and it was recommended by my nutrition teacher. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are beautiful just the way you are!! But I will go to a spin class this weekend if you want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked the number online and it looks like as long as you stay away from the meats (which I do) then it's not too bad sodium-wise, but it's not too good to eat everyday.

    And we should totally spin this weekend!

    ReplyDelete