Monday, October 18, 2010

First Visiting Friends!

This weekend Ian and I had our first set of visitors! About a week before they came we realized we didn't know the famous places to take them, then promptly did nothing about it. Turns out you can have fun just being with your friends in a new city. The lone landmark we took them to was 16th Street mall - we wandered up and down it for an hour or so, but then had to rush off to watch the Longhorns game at Govnrs Park, a tavern close to downtown where the Texas Exs host the game watch:

Govnrs Park Porch
It's a really fun pub/bar that turns burnt orange most Saturdays - what else could you ask for? Govnrs Park's answer is extra beer. After 4pm you get 2 for 1 beers. It's a dangerous combination with the football watching, but always creates a great time. This Saturday was no exception, though it did lead to quite the early bedtime for all of us.

The next morning we got up and tried to take them to our usual breakfast place, but we couldn't get there because of the Rock N Roll Marathon that had taken over downtown. It was why our friends came into town in the first place, however we, not being the crazy fit Denver people yet, did not quite make it. Instead we tried out a new place, Toast.

Toast, in the Cherry Creek Area
It was pretty good. As far as I can tell Denver does not really have a "food" it does except breakfast, a.k.a the Denver Omelet. So, we were expecting a pretty stellar meal and got a medium stellar one. I got the famed Denver Omelet with bacon (I would add bacon to everything if my heart would not then explode). It was definitely good. Probably really good. But, every other place I've been to has been definitely, beyond all doubt, delish. Thus, getting merely whelming food while our friends were in town was a bit sad. Despite that, it was a wonderful weekend and it was so nice to have great friends in town to make our normal weekend extra fun. Showing them around reminded me how the city first grabbed me, and helped me realize how at home I feel in it now.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! We had SOOOOO much fun visiting and, trust me loyal-blog-readers, Toast was delicious. She's just spoiled. :)

    And, I love how all we pretty much did is drink, watch football, eat and sleep. That's right. Turns out this might be my favorite type of vacation. Tell Carolyn that it's T-minus 1.5 years til I'm there! :)

    ReplyDelete