All this cooking has made my kitchen a mess daily. Thus, I am having to do the down and dirty, put on those grungy shorts no one else can see, cleaning a lot more often than I am used to. It's been tough adjusting since cleaning is one of my least favorite chores, but I've found that if I have the right music mix to match my mood, things go a lot faster. So here goes, my list of mixes that get me through the muck:
When mellow:
- Avett Brothers, I and Love and You
- Iron and Wine, Our Endless Numbered Days
- Carla Bruni, Quelqu'un M'a Dit
When happy:
- Ben Folds, Rockin' the Suburbs
- My personal 80s mix called "My Time," featuring Journey, Queen, Billy Idol, Guns N' Roses, etc.
- Justin Timberlake, Futuresex/Lovesounds [I HATE this album title and forgot until I was just looking at my itunes now]
When already kinda pissy about cleaning:
- Kate Nash, Made of Bricks
- Fratellis, Costello Music/Flathead [though this is always a staple on my running mix, so if I run later I get pissy all over again because I had to clean, I'm a very complex person]
- Ghostland Observatory, Live at ACL
When I want to close the blinds and sing with the music:
- Michael Jackson, Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
- Legally Blonde, The Musical
- De-Lovely, Soundtrack from the De-lovely movie
I've also noticed that in other things I don't want to do - long drives, raking up leaves, editing - listening to music that fits my mood helps as well. However, with the extra cleaning I've been doing, I've been running out of music choices that I like. Do you all out in the interwebs have any suggestions, by category or not? Thanks!
I only clean when I'm pissed. David always knows to stay away when he sees me scrubbing the bathtub grout.
ReplyDeleteI have recently tried a "Neon Trees" playlist on Pandora, and it has so far been fantastic! Great music, and good beat for cleaning. That being said, I really hate cleaning!! Maybe you can bribe Ian by saying the delicious cooking can only continue if you agree to get a biweekly housekeeper... otherwise the cleaning is just too stressful for you and may interfere with your ability to cook! :)
ReplyDeleteHah - we are having some classics kids over for a BBQ tomorrow, so today is another big cleaning day, I'll have to try the neon trees playlist!
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing. And I have to confess, lately it's been Christmas music that has been accompanying my cleaning.
ReplyDeleteI tried the "neon trees" and I am totally a fan! And I will definitely have Christmas music in (Bing Crosby's White Christmas on pandora), but I have a strict policy of no carols before thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete