Monday, November 29, 2010

Leftover Sunday Dinner

Traveling back from West Palm Beach was not the easiest. It takes about 8 hours of travel to go from sunny Florida to wintery Colorado - plus a 50 degree temperature shift. So, when we finally got home we didn't really feel like doing much, especially not cooking. However, we felt less like going back out in the cold to pick up food, so we were stuck trying to make a quick dinner with whatever had been left in our fridge for a week.


We settled on making a quick veggie spaghetti with a garlic based sauce. The "veggies" I had were some leftover carrots, an onion, some garlic and a bag of frozen stuff I usually use to ice my knees after a run (luckily I couldn't find the gross lima beans at our Safeway that I normally grab for my ice down).
I threw the spaghetti in the pot with the carrots and tried to figure out a quick sauce to put on it. I had some extra virgin olive oil and mixed it with some balsamic vinaigrette and put the onions in to cook. I after a bit I put the garlic in and added some herbs de province to flavor it. Then I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't taste bad.

A few minutes before the spaghetti was done I tossed in the frozen veggies. When it was done, I strained them all and coated them with some bread crumbs for texture. I then just put on the sauce and some parmesan cheese and we ate it up while watching the Modern Family that we'd missed. It tasted pretty good for week old fridge food - but nowhere close to all the delicious things we had eaten this past week. I think I'll keep the recipe in the back of my mind though, because it only took about 20 minutes, the time it took to cook the noodles, and tasted pretty good. Later this week I'll get back to my more complicated dishes, and maybe some old family recipes I stumbled onto this past week!
4ish out of 5 on Yum scale

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. Fast, thrown-together meals are my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys' ability to throw stuff together amazes me. I am so bad at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Christine, so impressed!

    ReplyDelete